Miata - Wheel/Tire Width Help

Talk about stuff NOT related to SCCV operations.
mjmurray

Miata - Wheel/Tire Width Help

Post by mjmurray »

Folks,

I'll pre-apologize, this topic has been thrashed to death on miata.net, and various other forums, but it's one of those subjects that generate more opinions or caveated answers than definitive responses.

I'm thinking of getting a set of Toyo R888s on 15" 6ULs for my '90 Miata. The car has a set of FM VMaxx coil overs and sits at 12" front, 12.5" rear. Additionally, all I use this car for SCCV AutoX events. I know our resident miata pro's have track specific tire-sets, but my skill doesn't warrant a track-trailer setup as of yet...

Looking on definitive recommendation/constructive opinion on the maximum width I should consider, with no modifications to the tire well.

Thanks in advance.
- Joey Murray

SCCV #531
1990 Mazda Miata
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: Miata - Wheel/Tire Width Help

Post by pdudley42 »

Hi Joey. I've always gone with a 205/50r15 and been quite happy with it. This is the spec miata size. I've got a friend who runs 225/45r15 on his lowered miata, and he says they do not rub at all. However, they are not R compounds and thus do not generate as much body roll. I wonder if we could find you a set of 225s to borrow for an event and see how it works. I'll shoot an email to a guy with a set and see what he says.
One thing to consider is the loss of tossability that can come from having too much tire for a given amount of power.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Niburu

Post by Niburu »

205 will definitely fit, I have them on a set of 16X7 Enkies

At that height, with 949 6UL's you can probably do 225's without rubbing or at worst you might have to flatten the fender lip

do you have a set of aftermarket swaybars from Flying Miata or Racing Beat?
2011 Forester - DD//1990 Miata - Beater//1983 porsche 911 Targa - Moneypit
stig

Post by stig »

What are the width and offset of your 6ULs?

I have 15x8 ET36 with 205/50/15 and no problems at all.
mjmurray

Post by mjmurray »

Thanks for all the responses:

Paul - From your response, while curious to see if the 225s might fit for future reference, for my current skills and the 23 yo stock engine I think they might be overkill for me at this point.

Stig/Niburu - I was looking at the 15x7.5 6ULs, which have a +42 offset. I have a RB sway bar in front, and stock in rear.

On paper, it looks as though the 15x7.5s should handle both tire sizes should I look to the 225s in the future.

Now just to see if I can actually find anything in stock!

Thanks again for the responses.
- Joey Murray

SCCV #531
1990 Mazda Miata