Brake pad advice - 07 MINI

Talk about stuff NOT related to SCCV operations.
opecor
SCCV Treasurer
SCCV Treasurer

Brake pad advice - 07 MINI

Post by opecor »

So my brakes were mush and smelled awful by the third run at the autocross on Saturday. Step 1 - brake fluid, step 2 - replace previous owner's El Cheapo pad with something that might work (not necessarily in that order). I'd like to do it before the next autocross.

Any suggestions on what will work on the street (noise and dust are expected) and also the autocross track? I have some very conflicting opinions from several people with heavier cars and/or drive on the big tracks, which I don't plan to do this year. :( Hawk HPS, Yellowstuff, Stoptech something, other suggestions?
Orianna Pecor #29
2006 Mini Cooper S "Shirley"
darTTh audi

Re: Brake pad advice - 07 MINI

Post by darTTh audi »

I don't use anything other than OEM for autocross but for track use I've used Carbotech XP 10 and XP 8. They have an AX6 compound specifically for autocross. They are very helpful on the phone. http://www.ctbrakes.com
Bill R.
2008 Audi TT 3.2q
opecor
SCCV Treasurer
SCCV Treasurer

Post by opecor »

Thanks Bill. I used OEM pads on the R32 through several autocrosses and two track days at Watkins Glen and never had an issue. I'll add the XP 10s to my research list - my dad likes them as well, despite the noise (he's the white haired guy in the black Mustang Cobra).
Orianna Pecor #29
Serrilion

Post by Serrilion »

I've always run Hawk HP Plus on most of my cars. They are built well and at a decent cost... Another idea for ya cooper...

I did notice ya breaks smelt a little warm at the end of ya 3rd run during the afternoon
yea so a guy told me, "I bet I get laid twice as much as you," so I said, "Two times zero is still equal to zero," totally awesome.

#813 Ryan Fitz
opecor
SCCV Treasurer
SCCV Treasurer

Post by opecor »

It took you that long to notice? :) They left by the third run of the morning. I guess it made me faster by default, although I took out enough cones and couldn't manage to stay on course, so there's that...

Were you driving the other Lancer? Cory has Hawk HPS on his Evo X too. I think if they can stop that, they can stop the MINI. The smell was unpleasant but the sponginess may have been the result of what I can only assume is 7 year old brake fluid (given the previous owner's penchant for ignoring maintenance). They are also about half the price of the Carbotechs and the other three or four brands I looked at. We'll see how they work - hopefully next time you won't smell the Evil MINI so much!

Thanks again for the advice!
Orianna Pecor #29
Serrilion

Post by Serrilion »

Your welcome, and yes I have the lancer... currently running my Centric's till they wear out, but have a set of Hawks waitting in the wings :).... Yea we all ate some cones and im sure in a couple weeks we will all eat a few more :)
yea so a guy told me, "I bet I get laid twice as much as you," so I said, "Two times zero is still equal to zero," totally awesome.

#813 Ryan Fitz