board discussion of SLMP registration minutiae (the split)

General information about the club (not to be confused with discussions forum)!
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

STI NICK wrote:Nathan has been added to the list.
Thank you!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
lwheelock

Post by lwheelock »

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of participation, free time is not as cheap as it used to be...

Anyway i like the idea of notifying our members before we open registration, however i think with that much advanced warning we might run into the issue of receiving 15 entry post marked on the first day and another 10 on the second day. I have a good feeling that this will be the issue since SLMPIII on labor day weekend has always been the most popular. which brings up the question how do you select the entrants postmarked all on the same day that overflow the event

anyway i propose that we have a method for addressing this issue ahead of time so that it is fair and impartial. I proposed that in an event as mentioned earlier where several entries are recieved on the same day and would exceed the max number of entries allowed (even using single day slots) those entries received/postmarked on such date would be put into a raffle/lottery and X number of entries would be randomly selected to fill the remaining open spaces.

Also to consider is out of town/state members will have a longer trip for their entry I am assuming that their home town post office would have the correct date stamp so we can tell when they first mailed it, and go by that date when listing entrants. I would hate for the out of town people to think they needed to spend extra to priority overnight mail to get to the PO Box ahead of the others.

this is just my 2cent idea if we ran into such a case, there must be others and i am open to any of them, my push is to have something in place for when this does happen, and i really believe it is when this happens not if.
Laura
'11 FORD F150
'05 Legacy GT
'04 Swedish Minivan aka XC70
'04 STI when I'm allowed!
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Do postmarks have the time?
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Do postmarks have the time?
no times on the stamp.

any thoughts on giving preference towards a club member that has not participated at slmp that season.

For example I went to slmp the first round.
Nick W did not.

We both send an entry in with todays postmark, but there is only one spot left. The tie goes to Nick as I have already attended.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

One tie breaker.... member BEFORE the day registration opens vs. member on/after the day registration opens.

1. Postmark
2. Member before day of registration vs. non-member

Unsure of ran before vs. not run before.

What if there is no postmark (i.e. I hand deliver the entry with payment to the chairperson the day registration opens). I guess that could be considered postmarked the day I handed it to him/her as it would not create an unfair advantage (same effect as mailing that day).

Let's not put too much effort into this; it is important to address it before the problem but I don't want to see a process flow with nodes and leadtimes addressing all possible contingencies.
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

Club seniority. Longest members first?
Tim W.
SCCV #72
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

I like the idea of giving priority to those who have not had a chance to run.

So priority goes to:
1) SCCV member (membership should have its priveledges)
2) Whether they have participated in an SLMP that year (doesn't apply to first SLMP of the year)
3) Lottery (random number)

My only concern is that 23 of the same people happen to get all of the slots each time, and other members don't get a fair shake at getting in. Given that there is limited space, its critical that every member gets a fair chance to participate (especially since the points count).
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

My only concern is that 23 of the same people happen to get all of the slots each time, and other members don't get a fair shake at getting in. Given that there is limited space, its critical that every member gets a fair chance to participate (especially since the points count).
I am not sure why you keep saying this cause its not true. There are some of the same people that go frequently, but they are not always the same people. If people procrastinate they arent going to get in. Snooze you lose.

Everyone gets a fair shot at sending in a registration form, and everyone finds out at the same time. I think there needs to be something other than who has already been there and who has not. Why punish someone for being a car enthusiast, and wanting to go to as many events as possible. Club member and then a lottery sounds good.

Also this is only going to be when the event starts to fill up, and if we have a lot of extra people. This is not going to be an every time thing. You are talking about maybe a couple people that are going to have to be decided between. Like Steve said lets not go to far into this. Its not a big, or common problem.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

Personally I don't like the idea of one of the tie-breakers being wether you have already been or not. If you are active in the club, and in the forums, then why should you be punished and not get in?? Isn't it the idea that we want people to support the club, be active, go to meetings and go to events??

Everyone finds out about the registration at the same time. Post marks go on envelopes from where you mail them, so in theory, even if I mail my envelope from Williston, and someone mails it from say Manchester, NH. If we both send it on Tuesday, July 17, 2007, then the post mark will say the same thing for each envelope.

You just have to be prepared to go to the post office the day reg. opens...
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I agree that it should NOT matter if you went before.
Steve #702