SLMP Registration Proceedures

General information about the club (not to be confused with discussions forum)!

Should SCCV refund SLMP entry fees?

Yes, 100%
No votes
No, Keep the entire fee
40%
Yes, but only a portion of the fee, and only if costs are covered
60%

Total votes: 5

lwheelock

SLMP Registration Proceedures

Post by lwheelock »

Hi All Board Members,

Nick and I have been talking about how the registration for the last SLMP went and would like to propose some changes to the way we handle entries for the board to consider and vote on.

Here is the issue we both have, for SLMP 2 the event filled up in 2 days several people sent their entry in just to reserve a spot knowing how popular the first SLMP was. However there were several people who sent entries and received spots in the event that eventually cancelled. Because we had no policy of keeping a wait list once the event was full we notified those who did not make it into the event and changed the forums to say event registration was closed. What happened with about a week to go is we had two entrants drop out due to lack of vehicle and two entrants called about being sick or needing to work that MIGHT not make the event and wondered if there were people to take their place.

Without an official wait list there was no way of filling the possible empty spots with a week to go. The other issue is how to handle their entry fee.

So this is what Nick and I were proposing for future SLMP events.
1) Keep an official waiting list, still accept entries after the event is full so that when/if a spot opens up the entrant who is withdrawing has the opportunity to fill it, and we maximize the amount of members who get to go.
2) Require an entrant to find a replacement for their spot if they choose to withdraw or they forefit their entry fee. (therefore minimizing the potential loss on the event for the club if we have several entrants withdraw). There could even be a deadline when an entrant would forfeit their fee by, say 1 week prior, etc.

The idea is to encourage people who really want to go and are ready to commit to going to enter and those who are on the fence make them think about it and not take a spot from a member who would have really wanted to go.
Last edited by lwheelock on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
'11 FORD F150
'05 Legacy GT
'04 Swedish Minivan aka XC70
'04 STI when I'm allowed!
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

um, we did have a waiting list. I did not post it, but we did have it. It was used up how ever. Which it worked out fine with the number of people we did have because there was some over flow already.

We could post the waiting list if people would like.

I just want to make those who send in a registration for more responsible for registration. If they want to cancel becuase the weather doesnt look good, then fine. But find somone to take your place. IE contact the next person on the list.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

I think a public waiting list would be a good idea. This way, people could check in and see where they fall on the list. If I were first in line, I'd like to see it.

As for a cut off date for getting your money back, I think its a good idea if we can not fill the spot with a wait-lister or for a no-show. We lost at least $200+ possible revenue for this event. Doesn't sound like a whole lot, but if this happens for 3 events, that's almost the cost of new timing software. It will make a difference in the long run.

How does the Wednesday prior to the event sound? (3 Days)?? Is that enough?
Tim W.
SCCV #72
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

A public waiting list makes sense (also a good way to make sure your registration did make it).

The idea of making finding a replacement the responsibility of the person not going is good.

What is our refund policy currently? If you don't go, you don't pay? I think if you decide not to go within two weeks of the event, either you should find a replacement, or forfeit the payment.
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

gtivr4 wrote:What is our refund policy currently? If you don't go, you don't pay? I think if you decide not to go within two weeks of the event, either you should find a replacement, or forfeit the payment.
In the 6 years we have been going to SLMP, I do not recall ever keeping someone's money for backing out or not showing up.

I think 2 weeks is a bit steep, but I think it should also depend on how big the replacement list is.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

refund only when replacement is found or two weeks out.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

I don't agree with keeping the entire entry fee, but I don't think that it is unreasonable to keep a portion. Call it a non-refundable security deposit. I understand as much as anyone that thing's come up and people get sick, etc. However, we should not lose money on our event because of it either. It's a fine line. I'm sure we can come up with a plan that is acceptable. Making the canceling parting help find a replacement is a good idea as well. I also like the idea of the waiting list being public, so as people cancel, they can see themselves move up the list... :D
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
lwheelock

Post by lwheelock »

So i have added a poll onto this discussion to help with a decision about the entry fee and refunds so that this can be resolved before we make the announcement for SLMP 3.

I think everyone agrees that a waiting list will be set up for each SLMP event we have.
Laura
'11 FORD F150
'05 Legacy GT
'04 Swedish Minivan aka XC70
'04 STI when I'm allowed!
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

so how about this;

Waiting list is public for all to see. if you cancel there is a $20 registration fee that is taken out. The next person on the list is added. If you dont show up you must request a refund (simple email), and the entry fee will be mailed to you with the $20 registration fee taken out. if you dont request a refund then you dont get one.

Hows that?
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

One thing I did mention to Nick is that this might be considered a club-level decision in that we need input/vote from membership. This isn't the board's club. The board section of the forum is a good place to determine the single voice of the board before approaching the club, but it is still the club's show of hands that run the show. We can, of course, make some small changes to how things are done (administrative, if you will).
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar