OktoberFAST 2009 - Stowe, Vermont Oct 9-10

TSR53

OktoberFAST 2009 - Stowe, Vermont Oct 9-10

Post by TSR53 »

All German cars are welcome.

Registration
$25 per car, $8 per spectator
Registration is Friday night from 4-8pm at Smuggler's Notch Resort in the Meeting House Tavern with a meet and greet or at the OktoberFAST gate Saturday morning in Stowe at the Top Notch field.

Official Hotel accommodations by Smuggler’s Notch Resort http://www.smuggs.com Call direct to reserve your room today (802) 644-1151, mention BMW CCA.

About Oktoberfast
OktoberFAST is a celebration of German Cars hosted by the Green Mountain Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. It is a fun-filled weekend for German car enthusiasts and their families. The wonderful roads and the Green Mountains of Vermont, in peak foliage colors, will set the scene for German car fans to drive and show their cars and to meet and interact with fellow German automobile aficionados. The event is open to all German marques new, old, stock or highly modified of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mini and BMW Motorcycles.

Past OktoberFAST events have included several choices for some incredible back road drives, a “fun rally,” a show and shine, an autocross run by the SCCV, (Sports Car Club of Vermont) a tech session with Mike Miller, and several social events. Our inaugural event, SOMMERFAST ’05, was small with just 75 cars attending, OktoberFAST in 2006 grew to over 130 cars and 2007 provided much the same. All events were a resounding success and we see no reason why 2009 will be any different.

The Green Mountain Chapter BMW CCA is committed to hosting an exciting and memorable event dedicated to the German car fanatic and hope to grow this event into the largest gathering of German cars in the Northeast.

http://www.vtbmwcca.org

OktoberFAST 2009 is located next to the Craft Fair at the Top Notch events field in Stowe, Vermont.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 16&iwloc=A
Last edited by TSR53 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveP189

Re: OktoberFAST 2009 - Stowe, Vermont Oct 9-10

Post by DaveP189 »

Kewl! We can 'double-dip' w/ the MINI's - British Invasion this w/end....
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
10vTurbo

Post by 10vTurbo »

Did they not do it last year? I have been chomping at the bit to show my Audi there. It's not ready yet, but I thought they weren't going to do it anymore
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

DaveVT02S wrote:Kewl! We can 'double-dip' w/ the MINI's - British Invasion this w/end....
Minis aren't anymore German than Jaguars are Indian!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

:hijacked:
gtivr4 wrote:Minis aren't anymore German than Jaguars are Indian!
You're right, Minis (sic) are not, MINI's are (we're invited, anyway). MINI is a division of Bayerische Motoren Werke, Munich, Germany, and assembled in Oxford, England. By your manner of thinking :roll: , Subarus, Toyotas, Nissans, etc., all make cars in the USA, so they aren't any more Japanese than Camaro's (assembled in Canada) are American? :omg: And for 'not being German', a whole bunch of parts say BMW on them, from owner's manual to the brake calipers to the air conditioning (and they aren't from a corporate parts bin, either)...
ImageImage

The first photo is on the radiator support, the second of the (rear-mounted) battery - so literally a BMW nose to tail :wink:

Sorry, Thompson - back to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...
Last edited by DaveP189 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

I guess my point is that MINI (since mini was only a model name, not a company), is quintisenttially British, despite being owned by BMW. Its by no means a big deal, just seems odd to include them if you ask me.
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
TSR53

Post by TSR53 »

gtivr4 wrote:Minis aren't anymore German than Jaguars are Indian!
The German BMW AG company designed the new MINI, so YES it is German (actually Frank Stephenson penned it who designed the Audi TT and new VW beetle). Jaguar / Land Rover are designed by the English and only recently were purchased by Tata motors of India, money influence there only, and still designed in England.

MINI Coopers have German VIN numbers, designed by BMW/MINI Germany, but happen to be built in Oxford, UK to help "enhance and market them" as the MINI brand name which they bought from Rover. Wonderful crafty clever German marketing.

The first letter determines the country in which the car was manufactured.
W = Germany

The second tells you who manufactured the car.
M = MINI

These really are German cars that are cleverly marketed to make you believe they are still "quintisenttially British" enhanced by being built and assembled in the old Cowley Rover plant in Oxford, UK. Which by the way is really a BMW town as some work contacts tell me. BMW took the idea and ran with it.

Parts list... Getrag 6-speed gearboxes, KTM Austrian built oil coolers, ATE brakes made in Germany, BMW calipers, cigarette lighters with "Made in Germany", my oil filters are German in BMW teile boxes, the list goes on and on. Some parts are manufactured outside of Germany too. Just look at http://www.realoem.com online parts and you will see the BMW ownership.

Some people lavish in the British'ness of the new marketed MINI, take a peak up at British Invasion in Stowe, VT or a Union Jack splattered R53. Others' like the engineering and design that makes the MINI what it is and why it drives like it does. The English design team did work with the Germans and BMW just designed a better MINI. The new MINI is welcome at both British AND German cars shows and events because of this.

In the end the Bavarians finally won and did invade cheery ol' England.
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

I understand that the engine internals are (German) Mahle forged parts: pistons/pins/rods/crank, (and the documented ability of the 1.6 to handle 300+ hp w/o modification).
I also noticed "BMW" is stamped into the front subframe when I was changing the suspension bushings.

Going to the Brit Invasion, Thompson? If so, may see you there :bigthumb:
10vTurbo

Post by 10vTurbo »

I'll go to the British invasion tomorrow, and I plan on going to Oktoberfast as well
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

I'm going back tomorrow, look me up - tomorrow's the competition of colors (cars classed by color), plus some other stuff (usually a 'backseat' driver comp), and if you have a British car they let you can park on the field, so I'll either be in the "Reds" or the "Two-Tones" :lol: ... What the hey, it's a fun day...