Pariah

Discussion about automotive projects
preach

Pariah

Post by preach »

Day 1:

1974 1.8l w/2bbl carb

BIG thanks to Rooster for towing it to my house on his tiny Fiat trailer. :partyman:

Needs floors desperately, and a general go through to find out exactly what else it needs.

Went to look at it Monday after hearing that a coworkers neighbor had it and needed it gone due to moving/loss of storage. The guy bought it for $1500 and put all brand new brake parts on it plus bought a new webber as the existing one did not run right. I decided not to buy it on the way home as I wanted more of a driver. Wednesday he calls me and says $700, I says sold!

I have one heck of a deal sitting in my driveway now.

More to come albeit slowly.
1974 914 Pariah, in progress.
sachilles

Re: Pariah

Post by sachilles »

A subscription to classic motorsports magazine would now be a wise purchase. Glad you pulled the trigger.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Jeff Collins (username jcollins914) used to have one of these and drove it at the SCCV events. He might have some insight, advice, etc.

Steve
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Papa Ken

Post by Papa Ken »

That car is not my cup of tea, but as always, when you need a hand let me know. I will gladly help with any sheet metal work that is needed. In fact, doing floor pans might be a good excuse for me to go buy a bead roller. :partyman: I am looking forward into getting back into cars after a decade away.
preach

Post by preach »

Looks better with the rocker covers on:

Getting whacked with a rather large sewer repair bill, so it may not be ready for spring. :mad:
jcollins914

Post by jcollins914 »

Congratulations (I think).

I'm curious how the following are condition wise:

1. Under the battery, up in behind the tray is imfamous for falling victim to the 30+ years of battery acid drip. Oops, it's also a structural component of the unibody. I had a parts car rust in half while on blocks for a summer because this section was so tender. The floors on that car were pretty decent.

2. The inner rockers. Not the covers you put back on, but the part they conceal. They look decent in the vague pictures here, but those are structural too.

3. How does it shift? The transmissions are typically vague, even w/ a shifter bushing kit, though as I recall that helped a fair amount. 2nd gear was virtually un-findable to the uninitiated test pilot of my car...

If those parts are solid, you got very lucky w/ your purchase, and if kept out of salt, this thing should be fun for some time.

If those parts aren't; well, enjoy it for now :)

I'm no expert, but I owned a few of these, and was flat addicted for a 5 years or so. They are a super cool car, and while I certainly miss mine, I'm also pretty certain I won't buy another one. That said, I do go check them out on ebay motors now & then just to see how thriving the market continues to be. My uncle had a black one (looked just like yours w/ different wheels), when I was growing up, and that was the virus I got too close to.

While it doesn't look like you need them, I still have some doors, a decent hood, a couple of targa tops, and a full rear quarter (not sure which side) that are taking up room unnecessarily in the basement...

Jeff
preach

Post by preach »

Jeff,

Thank you for the reply.

Sadly I have not had the time or the space for a complete go-through yet. I have a Jeep stuck in the shop that I have been trying (recently) to get out so I can get the 914 in there and get a much better peek at it.

From my initial looksee:

1. The battery tray is long gone and the 'hell hole' seems to be solid, at least above the engine tin. First place I looked when I first went to see it. I need to get in there a bit closer and check it out, though under the battery does happen to attract a magnet.

2. The longitudinals seem straight and solid, but there are some welded in patching. This repair work is certainly not top notch, but it does seem solid. Both sides have the heater tube installed.

3. It shifts very sloppily, I have no basis except for a Beetle/Bus to go by but it is looser than any Bug/Bus I have driven. I get gears but until I can drive it I do not know 100% what ones. My plan (please chime in if it is not viable) is to replace all of the bushings with naval bronze or Delrin. I can turn these after work on the lathes there. The previous owner made brass bushings for the the pedal cluster. My other option is a highly recommended shift kit from Tangerine Racing that is supposed to solve the majority of the side-shifter issues.

I will add #4 to the worry list: I have not had the chance to check out the suspension points on it either. Once I get through my Jeep and Sewer issues I will have the time and funds to spend some quality time with this in the shop.

If the car ends up too far gone I will (for the $700) happily part it out and keep the bits in my barn for the next one.

Think on a price for your remaining goodies, I would gladly take them off your hands. I am a pack-rat with a good sized barn.
jcollins914

Post by jcollins914 »

Pack rat w/ a pretty big barn... that'd be nice to be.

Would you consider storing a car or 2 for the winter as payment for some stuff you really don't need at the moment? It will *seem* free, but save me the guilt of storing 1 or 2 of them outside...
preach

Post by preach »

I would if I could but the barn is 3 stories and 2 of them do not accept cars. The car level might fit the 914 and my wife's Miata, It would be tight in there though with all the tools.
preach

Post by preach »

I have semi-decided to send it off to an auto body shop with a frame rack. Have them measure it and see if it is good or pullable. If it is not, I will bring it home and part it. Shouldn't cost too too much, and I would really like to know beyond eyeballing it.

Fiscal Cliff could mean my job so I need to wait a bit...maybe a "We have a budget" present to myself. :|