Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

A little unexpected progress.....

As I mentioned, I dropped the head off at RPM in Georgia, VT to have them clean the head, deck the head (it isn't called decking with the head.... correct term escapes me), etc. Then, when the new parts (exhaust valves, guides, etc.) arrive, I would drop them off for them to complete the head. I gave them 20 valves (intake and exhaust) and explained they would only use the intake valves and I would bring them the exhaust. I also did not expect anything to happen (opps, premature foreshadowing... you know where I'm going with this) as I did not drop off the valve guides yet.

Weeeeellllllll, they did a great job of turning around the head really really fast by calling me on Tuesday to say it was 100% done and ready to pick up. They ended up using sleeves instead of the guides that arrived today (Wednesday), so I will have to return the guides. So kudos to RPM for getting the head done really fast. I explained to them on Tuesday what my expectations were when I dropped off the head (minor miscommunication, no big deal). They will swap out the exhaust valves later in the week. Fast turn around, love it! Getting closer to putting this all back together.

Ordered a new piston. I forgot that we did a one-size over (82mm vs 81mm) on the pistons during the last rebuild. Complete piston with new rings and wrist pin should be here soon..... I will bring that to RPM to get the wrist pin to fit nicely into the piston (I'm learning!) and to balance all 4 rods/pistons. New rings are also coming for the other three pistons.

That leaves some thermal protection for the oil lines and the strut tower area... KalesCustom.com has Earl's FireGuard in stock so I will get that for the oil lines. Still thinking of options for the heat shield on the strut tower.

Picture for those who don't read posts with paragraphs and punctuation.... like me.

-------------------------------------

Then there is the truck.

Chris (vtGTI) accepted the task to swap out the fuel tank on the F250... only took some excessive persuasion.

Jason at VEMS.us (Colchester, VT).... same guy that did the last tune on the Golf and will do it again this spring AND did the great tune on the Cabriolet.... allowed Chris to use his "shop" (more like a warehouse) to work on my truck. Very helpful as it was snowing all day on Tuesday.

With a little bit of blood (yuck... will spare you that picture!), sweat, and tears... and a lot of oily diesel fuel, rust, and dirt, he was able to get it done by 1:30ish AM (at least that is when I rec'd the pictures from him). Thanks Chris!

Old 47 gallon metal Transfer Flow fuel tank that I have been talking about replacing since 2005 vs. the new 50 gallon Titan Tank fuel tank made from "military-grade, cross-linked polyethylene".... you know, plastic.

This hole on the top explains why it leaked while parked on a hill or when I fill it about 3/4 of a tank.

So, I did something stupid like try to fill up the tank on my way home. There was already 10 gallons in the tank so I put another 40 gallons in for $176!!! Ouch!

While the truck was at VEMS, Jason checked out my trans temp, EGT, and boost gauges to see why they stopped working. While he was in there, it hooked them into the dimmer switch so they dimmed with the rest of the dash! He believes the trans temp gauge is now working (I won't know 100% until we get some heat in the transmission); the EGT gauge needs to be replaced, but he confirmed the sensor and wiring were functioning; and the boost gauge seems to just need a new tube. I will take care of all of that soon. Big thanks to Jason for being a great tuner, standalone engine management harness builder, tuner, and electrical genius!
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not much to report... got the head back from RPM today. Looks great. I will put the rest of it together this weekend.

I acquired two heads from some fellow racers. This is the one that I opted not to use this time around as I was worried about the cam journal on the "front" of the engine.
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Been a while since I posted. Lots of progress.

Received the new Wiseco to replace the "modified" one. RPM machine shop in George, VT balanced the pistons/rods so that everything was equal.

Finally received the new rod bearings from 034Motorsports.... I guess they were on back order.

Receive all the exhaust manifold goodies from German Autoparts including a Jackson Racing Racing timing belt.

So.... since all the parts are here, I dived into taking all the parts off the old head and putting everything together on the new head.

First... for years I have sworn at the ATP exhaust manifold because the nuts were impossible to get at. Guaranteed to round off the nuts when trying to loosen or tighten.... terrible design.

Well, the KalesCustom.com custom (naturally) exhaust manifold was a dream to remove from the old and install on the new head. I could get to all the nuts with a straight or flexible drive socket. Just one nut required a box end wrench, but that was just fine as it was an easy swing from the bottom to remove/install. Happy camper!

All together... celebrated with two flavors of Switchback!

Motivational music as it was a long day.....

Chris Cheesman had the Cabriolet this week to make some adjustments to make her perform perfectly. I didn't have any garage space (or time!) to do some of the installation stuff (i.e. short shifter and splash tank/filter) so he did it all.

Cabriolet is now ready for summer.... new Diesel Geek short shifter kit (positive engagement/notchy gear selection), oil change, balance, alignment, splash tank/filter, and replaced VVT oil gasket/half moon. Thanks Chris!

She is hiding, but ready for summer..... or the next owner.
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Updates without pictures….

The Golf is ready for the Mt. Ascutney #1 hillclimb (all four miles of it). Engine is together, broken in, and dyno tuned. I brought the car down to Jason at VEMS.us (Colchester, VT) where they have an AWD dyno. Rear wheels still show zero wheel horsepower regardless of how much boost we add.

Goal of this tune was to remove the water/meth while still running race fuel and, more importantly, not to have too much power for a front wheel drive car. Sooooo, we went from 353wHP down to 300wHP. In 2010, when I first installed the 6-speed gearbox and had new tires, I was able to get traction at the Ascutney hillclimb. Because it seemed that combination did work, we shot for those numbers this year. Spinning tires, especially with a turbo, is not very functional.

Currently, the goal for later this summer is to take the race fuel out of the mix on the dyno and add back in the water/meth AFTER we have ensured that the proper at-the-nozzle check valves are in place to keep the water out of the engine when it isn’t running. At that time, we will have a max of 300wHP using high octane pump gas with the water meth. The final numbers may be lower because of the pump gas, but I am fine with that as I’m trying to make the event costs more affordable. Also, it is impossible to find more race fuel on the weekend while at the event should I use more than planned. For added protection, I do plan to mix in 2-3 gallons of race fuel at the events to bump up the octane.

I do need to reinstall the skid plate and change the oil prior to Ascutney. Almost there!

We are official selling the turbo Cabriolet. Nice car with a nice engine. We just don’t drive it enough. Add is currently on VWvortex at http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6034750

Looking forward to the Ascutney hillclimb so that I have different content for the videos!

Steve
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Mt Ascutney #1 (2013)

"long course" is 4 miles instead of the normal 3.

I broke the driver's side axle (a Drive Shaft Shop axle... they are warranted!) on my first run on Saturday. We replaced it over lunch and kept going. Unfortunately, because of the axle issue, I was only able to take one run of the entire hill on Saturday.... I don't know the 4th mile of this hill as we last ran it in 2004 or 2005. This didn't help with being able to memorize the upper section. I still felt I didn't know it (and it isn't that technical up there), but it is a very fast section with some consequences for leaving the road at a million miles an hour. (Note: some exaggeration is in this post as bumps increase speed by 47%)

Mainly 3rd and 4th gear with some 5th thrown in for the lower and upper straights; it is a 6 speed. I think I only got down to 2nd in one or two slower corners.

Car felt good. Still thinking of swapping out the current spring setup for two-step springs to suck up some of the bumps.

Here is the video. One angle for the entire event.... I didn't move my camera around the car like I normally do.

Available in 1080HD / full screen for your viewing pleasure. You have to select those options at the bottom of the video.

We had 5 dash plaques for this event that I put together.... they represent the folks that have been doing this hillclimb for many, many years.

Enjoy.
Steve

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not much to update. Did a little tweaking with the tune (non dyno) for some areas on the map. Drove it at the Burke Hillclimb!

Practice day (Saturday) only. Event cancelled on Sunday due to technical difficulties with the mountain. There will be a Burke #2 this year!
All runs were in the wet. Managed 5th gear prior to the first checkpoint.

Managed 10th overall. Quite pleased with results.

All cars above me were modified Subarus (highest street prepared class) or the super fast modifieds.

Hard to compete with AWD cars in the wet.

Steve

PS - Really loving the 50 MB download and 10 MB upload speeds with cable... big improvement from the 1.5 MB download and .nothing MB upload with DSL.

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not much to report.

Okemo #1, 2013 hillclimb this weekend. Had a great time!

Had some issues with brakes on Saturday.... bled all brakes.

Achieved 113mph in the straight (top 3 of all cars at the event.... pleasantly surprised!)

Here is a link to the video... select either 720HD or 1080HD. Unsure what happened, but the quality of the video on youtube is pretty poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uWvbzQ5JVY

No chipmunks were harmed in the making of this video!!!!!

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Nothing to report.... just making a post to say "Hey! I'm going to the Wolfsgart car show in Essex Jct, VT" this weekend.

http://www.Wolfsgart.com for information.

I hope to have both the Golf and the Cabriolet there on Saturday.... just the Cabriolet on Sunday.

In Volkswagen news.....

Jetta: The main radiator fan decided to cease operation at the Okemo #1 hillclimb so I added that to the Honeydew list. Later in the week the downpipe started to make noise. I correctly determined that it was the flex section of the downpipe (again!). Third time is a charm. Rewelded it twice and figured that it was time for a third time. Nope. The internals of the flex pipe failed closing up the exhaust to slightly smaller than my thumb.... not a lot of breathing. So, doing some research to figure out if I want a stock SS exhaust system or get a performance exhaust. Not a big difference in price. I don't really plan to modify this car, but just in case..... kinda on the fence but need to figure it out prior to Okemo #2 so that Julie can race it there.

So.... Jetta needs radiator fan (arrived yesterday from German Auto Parts), full turbo back exhaust (rear muffler fell apart at Ascutney #1 and first muffler is getting up there in age), adjust e-brake cables.

Anyway.... boring text.

Painted the floor of the trailer. I used oil based deck stain (dark gray). My only problem spots (literally) are where there was motor oil on the floor. I might have to cover that with industrial carpet or the like as the paint isn't going to stick (obviously). I tried different methods of cleaning it, but it was far from perfect.

Golf loaded for Wolfgart.... I even washed the outside! Inside be damned!
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Had fun at Wolfsgart... brought both the Golf and Cabriolet (still for sale!) to the show. Looking forward to next year.

Julie noticed that the temp was running a bit high while sitting at the bottom of the hill waiting for her run at the Okemo #1 (2013) hillclimb. John Hart (http://www.fastaddiction.com) took a look at the car for her and figured out that the large radiator fan was not turning on (even with the AC switched on).

After the weekend of racing was done and we were back at home, I checked out the fan to determine if it was the motor or the magic switching box that turned it on..... determined it was the motor by applying direct power to the fan. Ordered fan.

It was actually quite easy to remove and install the fan. 35 minutes start to finish. I removed the nuts that held the fan to the bracket and then removed only the top two nuts (bolts?) that held the bracket to the fan... left the third leg (lower section of the bracket) untouched. Slipped the old fan out and slipped in the new one. Easy!

I had ordered a new muffler as one of the stock/original tail pipes rusted where it connected to the muffler and started to fall off. Shortly after getting the muffler in the mail, the downpipe started to leak on the flex joint that we replaced a while ago. I took the downpipe off to determine if it was a matter of a quick reweld... nope. The entire inside of the braided flex (it was been suggested to me since to get the flex joints that do not have the braids on the inside) had let go. This choked off the exhaust to about the size of my thumb. Started poking around a bit more and saw that a small hole was starting to form in the front muffler.

Okay.... [(2012-2004)x150,000 miles] / My wife races it = time for a new exhaust.

But..... since the Okemo #2 hillclimb was only 1.5 weeks away, we did not have time to get a performance exhaust to our house in time to allow me to install it prior to the event. So.... we went with a stock "turbo back" exhaust system.

It was great putting new parts in. Surprising, the old muffler (stainless steal) came apart quite easily. A little PB Blaster might have helped.

In with the new!

Decided it was time to start personalizing the trailer. In last month's exciting episode of "As the Trailer Turns", we saw Ken painting the trailer floor while Barbie took a nap.

So.... ended up with some shelves in the trailer this week.

Pretty picture of the car at the Okemo #2 hillclimb (2013)....

And the reason that I couldn't go any fast on Saturday (essentially every single run was a 2:30.xx with the exception of one 2:29.73.... at least I am consistent!)

Since Sunday seemed to be a series of 2:29.xx times and one 2:28.xx, I decided that I needed some traction. I took the best tires I had (I have a total of six mounted tires), which happened to be located on the back of the car, and mounted them on the front. I took the tires holding down our canopies and put them on the back. Big thanks to fellow racers Mike R. and Don T. for their assistance in getting that done is record time!

Got in the car and started my run.... it wasn't until slightly after checkpoint 1, when I was trying to get into 4th gear again (I normally get into 4th at the first corner, but I didn't notice my dilemma until a little further up the hill), that I noticed I was sitting too close to the steering wheel. When I am too close, I am not able to bring my arm all the way back to select 4th and 6th gears. Doh!

Every time I needed 4th, it took some effort to get my arm back far enough to select the gear. Such is life. Last run of the weekend and I didn't get myself setup properly in the car.

I am kicking myself a bit as I was able to get a 2:27.xx even with all the slow shifting with 4th gear. Doh! Doh! Doh!

I have order two new tires!

Picked up a new (2012) truck on my way to the Okemo #2 hillclimb. Kinda funny leaving my house with truck/trailer and a half tank of fuel, stopping at G. Stone Motors in Middlebury, VT to swap trucks (traded in the 2001 F250 7.3PS), and continued on my way to the event.... and getting there with a full tank of fuel.

Loving the new truck. 2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 diesel with 400HP and 800 ft/lb of torque... wow. Oh, and 6 lovely gears! I think I was able to out accelerate my wife in the Jetta with the truck.... with the 24' enclosed trailer attached with the Golf and all our crap inside. Sweet!

Getting on it a bit on the way home (0 to the speed limit a bit quicker than I really had to), I got 14.7 MPG. Happy with that. Short drive to work this morning (20 miles) after resetting gauge and dropping the trailer, I was over 18MPG. Double sweet. Has lots of toys (too many for me). Loving it so far... until the first "mortgage" payment comes in.

The important part..... I think..... video of the Okemo #2 hillclimb should be done soon. I managed to setup with Go-Pro camera properly this time at 60fps instead of 30fps. Creates a much better video than what you saw in the Okemo #1 video posted earlier. Just waiting for some trackside video from people before I post it.

Burke is in two weeks.

Car is currently running great (zero issues with year!!!!!) thanks to a great tune by Jason at http://www.VEMS.us in Colchester, VT.

I did drop the car off at Joey's (http://www.KalesCustom.com) tonight so that he could replace the coolant line going to the turbo. I don't have any -AN fittings to replace it myself. The coolant line is leaking a bit under pressure.

That's all folks!

Steve
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Finally caught up on video making from the Okemo #2 hillclimb a few weeks ago.

On-car and course-side video throughout.

Also, the Burke #2 hillclimb was this past week. While I did manage a good time, I was getting really sloppy trying to get the no low-end turbo car to perform. I think I only have two runs recorded from the weekend (more mistakes than good driving). Managed to pop a power steering line on the last run on Sunday... thankfully at the top of the hill. Darn.

Someone at one of the checkpoints caught my major error on video.... required me to back up to continue up the hill. Opps. Managed three gears/two tires spinning leaving the scene of the mistake. :) I will post that up soon....

Next hillclimb is Ascutney #2 (my favorite).

Steve
Steve #702