99 4Runner Maintenance

General information about the club (not to be confused with discussions forum)!
simer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

99 4Runner Maintenance

Post by simer »

Heyyy if you didn't hear, the club bought their very own plow rig for ITT. Thought it would be nice to have a record of what was done while in the clubs possession. Jeremy, maybe you can post what previous maintenance was done?

Anyway, here is the initial engine bay pic. oooooooo :lol:

And after tonight's work. It's a drill weekend for me so not a lot of work was done but I was able to drain the radiator of coolant and transmission oil. I had to remove the rad fan and grille before removing the radiator and shroud.

Serpentine belts, pulleys and timing covers next
Most people go through life trying not to die. I go through life making sure I live. - Travis Pastrana

Simon Kribstock, IG: STi_SIMER
#207 -- '95 Subaru STi - Mystic Blue Metallic
simer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: 99 4Runner Maintenance

Post by simer »

Got some more work done tonight. Appears the right side valve cover is leaking :(

Top timing belt cover removed.

Belt showing age

Acorns baked

Up next: crank pulley, lower belt cover, idlers
Most people go through life trying not to die. I go through life making sure I live. - Travis Pastrana

Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Subscribed. :popcorn: :partyman:
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
simer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by simer »

Broke the crank pulley bolt loose using the starter with a breaker bar on the frame rail. Going to need a tool to properly torque it back on. Hopefully I can borrow one from an autoparts store.

Rotated the engine to TDC. Marked the two cam pulleys and the crank pulley just in case the new belt doesn't have the marks.

Crank pulley, bottom timing belt cover, timing belt and water pump housing removed.

Timing belt tensioner rear bolt is a bit challenging to reach. It's the only bolt I need to get under the truck for and requires a 10" and a 6" wobble extension. It's tucked up between the oil pan and A/C compressor.

Halfway there after everything gets cleaned. \:D/

simer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by simer »

Tensioner removed and compressed

The tool I forgot Ed sent me so I don't have to remove the tensioner to compress it :mad:

New seal for the t-stat - came with the aisin kit

Water pump and two idlers installed.

Tensioner installed after confirming pulleys were timed correctly.

Link to video of it all back together and idling. If you don't have a spill-free funnel, you should get one. They are great for purging the coolant system of air without babysitting it or making a mess. Sticker with date and mileage annotated
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ejwGpHTpaL4e6XfK7

The crank pulley, at this point, is on there but I'll have to pull the fan and shroud once more for a final torque of 217ft/lbs.

JHaas5
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by JHaas5 »

In early November 2023, the front brakes were replaced with new rotors and pads. There were unfortunately one out of four frozen/sticky pistons on each caliper, but was able to retract them far enough to install parts and vehicle still stops adequately to be safe. Will be good to look at replacing both front calipers or rebuilding them next season.

Also, an engine oil change was performed.

Issues that still need fixing as of 12/5:

-The aftermarket plow light harness system has reached its end of life due to corrosion on terminals and overall age/use causing light issues. Recommended to remove entire system and restore OEM light functions, while adding a new aftermarket set of LED light pods on plow frame with toggle switch. Work on this project is imminent, and standby for purchase approval of LED light system.

-Tailgate will no longer open. Could be simple fix, could be more involved. Not mission critical to upcoming season but would be good to investigate at available member’s convenience.

That’s the update for now 👍

- Pearl White 2001 P11 Infiniti G20t 5spd
- White 1993 Subaru Legacy L sedan w/EJ22T and 5spd AWD conversion
RIP black 1995 Nissan 200sx SE-R w/SR20DET GTi-R swap (og racecar)