Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Car is sitting in the garage.... getting quite full in there.

Figured it was time to stop taunting mother nature and get rid of the "Tree 1, Car 0" score card on the side of the door. When I picked up a four door Golf of the same color two summers ago, it included three doors. When the front fenders, hood, bumper were being painted at the end of last summer (during the rebuilding), I had them blend in the door so that it matched with the fender. (matches old vs. new paint).

Removing the door required the removal of parts of the passenger side dash to access the inboard bolts.

No power to roll down the windows? No problem! Enter Volkswagen Special Tool #1972

I plan to shorten the bolts and put one through the center (original shaft is in there now); figured an allen head bolt of the same diameter head as the shaft would be a good replacement).

2AM. All back together. Still need to adjust the front fender. Leaving the front bumper off for now as it needs to head back to the body shop this week for some final tweaking. Body will be done at that point.

Plan is to bring to KalesCustom for the IC tubing, etc. next week.

There is a little bit of binding in the front end... need to figure out what that is. I'm hoping there are no issues with the transmission. It going through all the gears just fine, but turning the wheels all the way in one direction makes some noise. Darn. I'll worry about that after the car is together 100%.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Busy week.

Finished installing the door, door card, assembled dash (both sides), made a bracket to hold the ECU, installed the replacement A/F gauge, aligned the passenger fender and door, installed a second fire extinguisher on the passenger side tunnel, and brought the car to Jct. Motorsports (Chris Putzier) to have the frame rail tweaked a little. Off to Kales Custom on Friday or Saturday to wait its turn in the queue (assuming that I am not going to RI; have a bit of a cold and have a lot to do... can't win).

Plan tonight (if I feel up to it) or Friday (if I don't go to RI) is to complete the Cabriolet engine tear down and bring it to RPM machine shop for testing and cleaning.

Received a pleasant letter in the mail today. The letter told of my driving prowess, how women flock to me, along with the winning lottery numbers for next week's drawing. In the voice of Kevin Malone (the office), "Nice!"

Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

:partyman: Woot! Congrats on making the entry grid for Mt. Washington, Steve. I'll be Spectator Marshaling for the whole weekend and will try to keep your hordes of groupies and fan club at bay so you can get a clean run up the hill. :mrgreen:
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Before (May 2010)

And now... (March 2011)
Sitting at Joey's (http://www.KalesCustom.com)
Steve #702
thorton0

Post by thorton0 »

looks awesome
03 jetta 1.8t
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I haven't been sleeping....

Should have a lot of updates by the end of this weekend (if not sooner). I have been working on the Cabriolet, Scirocco, and the Golf. Well, actually someone else is working on the Golf.

Figured out the binding in the front of the Golf... axle is too short. It is going back to DSS tomorrow. That is good news... it isn't the transmission. (round of drinks, please!)

Working on building a pretty stock 1.8T tonight. Not posting pictures as it isn't exciting. Engine is for the Cabriolet. Grabbed boxes of new piston rings off my shelf and noticed they were 82.50 instead of 81.00mm. Looked in the ol' Bentley and noticed that 82.50 is for the 2.0 liter engine while the 81.00 is for the 1.8T. Crap. I purchased these 3 years ago. Noticed that one box had 81.00mm printed on the side... figured that I had only one 82.50 odd ball. Nope, they all said 81.00mm on the side. Turns out I paid $82.50 for them... what are the odds?

Anyway.... lots of progress. Hopefully some pictures posted this weekend with the updates.

Steve
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I'm so weak... so weak! Image

Price of rings for stock pistons is not cheap. Hmmmm.... I have a set of Wiseco pistons from the Golf wherein one was damaged on startup (valve failed) when bringing to dyno two years ago. Ordered one piston today from http://www.wiseco.com. Looks like I can run all the boost I want in the Cabriolet now. Yes, I will need the 20mm pin connecting rods, but such is life.

I still have an extra engine at the machine shop right now. I guess I will make that one stock. (thinking ahead for the Jetta this summer). End goal is to have a spare block that is partially assembled (crank, seals, etc.) but missing rods and pistons. Back up since I have four 1.8T cars. Planning to sell the Jetta this summer.

Now... since the rods and pistons are upgraded..... the turbo is starting to look small. Image The wife is all for more power.

Bigger turbo means I have to verify that everything else in the equation is up to snuff (fuel pump and injectors). Sigh.

Heading out to the garage to change the snows on the Jetta, install glass on the Scirocco and finish removing the old Cabriolet engine.

Cabriolet 02J transmission is perfect, put I'm putting the old 02J transmission from the Golf (what I had before the 6-speed swap) as it has an LSD installed already.

Big thanks to Pete (almstVW) for helping me to source a lot of the misc. engine parts.

So weak...... Image
Steve #702
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

:whip:

:bow!:
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Nick... remember that Honda on Shelburne Road on our way to VW in the Cabriolet? :3gears:

:drinkers:
Steve #702
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Cant for get it. :lol:
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70