MINI Cooper upgrades

Discussion about automotive projects
NY03SVT

Re: MINI Cooper upgrades

Post by NY03SVT »

time for a trip to montreal or ottawa?
2003 Ford Focus SVT #43
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." ~Albert Einstein
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

NY03SVT wrote:time for a trip to montreal or ottawa?
Nearest U.S. MINI dealers are Boston, or Albany, NY area(s)...

Minimania used to sell them, last seen on clearance for $50 (no longer on their site) - show up on eBay occassionally
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

I had the same issue with my Saab, but it reset after a reasonable period (maybe a month).

Try disconnecting the battery, then unplugging the seat and redoing everything. Might be worth a shot... (I have no idea if that would work)
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
8valvegrowl

Post by 8valvegrowl »

2000 and newer SAABs will reset it after a certain number of restarts with no issues, mine is a '99 and wouldn't do that (previous generation engine management/electronics). :(

The MINI might be worth a shot, though.
'99 9.3 - Torquey noodle-mobile.
'08 9.3 SportCombi - Family Wagon.
'87 900 - 8 valves of pure fury.
'91 Legacy AWD - Sold :(
'74 MGBGT - Stage: Welding project.
'87 4Kquattro - Gone, but not forgotten
tiFreak

Post by tiFreak »

8valvegrowl wrote: The MINI might be worth a shot, though.
I know on BMWs it won't go off until it's reset
Brendan Murray
SCCV #318
BMWCCA #405199
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

tiFreak wrote:I know on BMWs it won't go off until it's reset
My research agrees - and to add another twist I just discovered, the BMW SRS reset tool and the one for MINI's are not the same #-o
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

tiFreak wrote:I know on BMWs it won't go off until it's reset
Yup, and if it happens on a 20-year old E30, good luck trying to find someone who can reset it. Even if you find a a BMW dealer who would do it, they'll charge well over $100 for the labor of plugging in the socket. :mad: And aftermarket reset tools don't exist for older than E36s. I would really like to reset the SRS light in my E30, but I've given up.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

A little drive over to Massena for the holiday weekend - but when going through (around) Rouses Point: BANG! BANG! BANG! over the bumps - muffler hanger? I know it's due (cat-back I want is on backorder). Then the tire pressure light comes on - hmmm, ought to pull over and give this a look-see. Pressures are all fine :-k -

So, I guess the stiffer rear sway bar is a little tougher on the stock links - but the banging is the upper half wedged between the sway bar and the upper control arm bushing mount at the hub #-o - I've got every tool I need with me to get it out - except a jack. Cruised back into R.P. Stewart's store, attempt to get a hold of a friend of mine who lives near there, except he's in Syracuse (of course!). Get the nut off the link through the wheel, start tapping out the stud using my ratchet extensions to get at it, It reached a stopping point: it's hitting the spring perch :mad: . At this point a guy walks over and asks if I need some help. Explain I need a jack, he says he'll check, he's driving a Taurus wagon (so I'm not expecting much) - the first thing he pulls out of the back is two 5-gallon jugs of VP (things are looking up!); but no jack. Go back over to the MINI, turn the extension around and give the end wedged in the control arm a really serious whack, and the piece pops out - and the back of the car drops ~1/2" :shock: .

Got to Massena (lots of MINI parts on the shelves here), but Advance Auto Bling gets me one overnight.

So I stops at my favorite local refreshment place (definitely ready!) and run into friend of mine: "how's it goin'?" (show him the piece) he gives it a look, we discuss some ideas, and he tells me to save the pieces for him, figures he can come up with a stronger set-up - for the record, he's rebuilding a old Cat bulldozer for "fun". We've talked at length about the SCCV events, and he's owned some pretty nice muscle cars in the past, so...

Can't wait to see what he comes up with :wink:
Last edited by DaveP189 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Oh, and I never did figure out what caused the tire pressure light :dunno:
vwcorvette

Post by vwcorvette »

My guess, the lighter loaded corner was not spinning same as the others and since your system uses wheel speed sensors from ABS to "tell" if tire is going flat that is what caused the light.
Geo

'75 Stingray. AKA, Sasha
(**--**)
'02 Jetta Wgn 1.8T tiptronic. MobyII
\ \=o=/ /
'79 Kawasaki KZ400h
d=~o