Formula 1 2010

Talk about stuff NOT related to SCCV operations.
DaveP189

Formula 1 2010

Post by DaveP189 »

Forget all the old teams leaving / new teams starting / drivers switching, coming and going:
this is gonna be a great season!

Branson offers Lotus F1 boss a stewardess challenge
By Alan Baldwin – Tue Dec 15, 3:10 pm ET
LONDON (Reuters) – Richard Branson challenged aviation rival Tony Fernandes to a Formula One duel on Tuesday with the loser having to dress up as an airline stewardess.

AirAsia's Fernandes, who once worked for Branson's music business, told Reuters last week that his new Malaysian-backed Lotus F1 team had to beat Branson's Virgin Racing operation next season. "Number one we have to be ahead of Branson, otherwise I will retire and kill myself," said the Malaysian.

Branson, speaking at the launch of his team, suggested a less painful alternative. "Having come from a music background, I suppose we might be able to choose the music for the funeral," joked the Briton. "But I like Tony a lot so I hope he doesn't have to kill himself.

"At the same obviously we would like to beat him. Maybe we can think of another challenge. He has an airline, we have an airline and if we beat him he can come and work on our airline as a Virgin stewardess.

"We will make sure that the stewardess outfit is perfect. I suspect that he might ask us to reciprocate," added Branson. "I'll have to check how fetching his stewardess outfits are but I'd be game to do it while totally confident of winning."

Branson and Fernandes join Force India's Vijay Mallya, who controls the Kingfisher airline, as a trio of aviation entrepreneurs challenging the established players in the skies and on the Formula One starting grid.

"It's a very friendly personal rivalry," Branson said. "And it's fun. What I discovered last year (as sponsor of Brawn) is that there are a billion people that watch Formula One and the people that watch it are fanatical. For us to be involved in Formula One is good for the brand. Formula One is a sexy beast and we are going to try and make it a little bit sexier.

"We love supporting an underdog but we like that underdog to have some pretty good qualities."

:rofl:
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
DaveP189

Re: Formula 1 2010

Post by DaveP189 »

Oh, yeah, and w/in the last week...

> German media is reporting Schumacher has struck a deal to drive for Mercedes, but
> Mercedes has discovered, after signing papers to take over Brawn, that the (now) primary sponsor had already backed out = more money
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
HondaSi

Post by HondaSi »

Last edited by HondaSi on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

HondaSi wrote:This should be fun to watch...

No kidding. You have at least 4 competitive teams with either past or future champions:
Ferrari - Massa (champ for 45 seconds), Alonso (2x champ)
McLaren - Button (2009), Lewis (2008)
Mercedes - Schumacher (7x), Rosberg (son of a champ at least)
Red Bull - Webber, Vettel (surely a future champ)

This is gonna be the most hotly contested year ever, and thats assuming no one has screwed up, or hit a home run like 09.

Oh, and they are restructuring the points system. 25 for first, points down to 10th. AND there is gonna be a US team (26 cars on the grid no less).
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

Hard season for me. Always loved Ferrari because of Schumi, now he is with Mercedes. So do I stick with Ferrari or go with Schumi? Either way it should be interesting. The other thing is, what about Kimi? It must be true that he is either retiring or going to WRC...

In a side note.. Bridgestone has announced that this will be their last year in F-1 as well. So what are they going to run on next year? I don't see Michelin coming back. Goodyear can't afford it. Interesting.
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
HondaSi

Post by HondaSi »

I think Kimi has a 1 year deal for 2010 to drive in the WRC.
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Yes, Kimi signed w/ Citroën Junior Team (formerly a customer team now back "in-house") for 12 of 13 rounds - It's rumored that he'll make, between that salary and the remainder of his Ferrarri salary, more than $30 million next year - so much for F1 "cost-cutting" ...

AND just to keep it interesting, his Citroën team has secured full Red Bull sponsorship, leading to rumors of his F1 return in 2011 for - guess who?
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Oh, and KERS is gone...
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Want to see Ferrari unveil its 2010 Formula One car? On Thursday, live from Maranello, Italy, at 10:30 a.m. Central European Time (that's 4:30 a.m. Eastern), you can watch the program at http://www.ferrari.com. :bigups: The event will include drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa, team boss Stefano Domenicali and Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo.

Ferrari says later that afternoon, we'll even get to see the new car turning laps at the Fiorano test track, weather permitting.
Fast_Freddy

Post by Fast_Freddy »

Mr. Bridgestone wrote:Hard season for me. Always loved Ferrari because of Schumi, now he is with Mercedes. So do I stick with Ferrari or go with Schumi? Either way it should be interesting. The other thing is, what about Kimi? It must be true that he is either retiring or going to WRC...

In a side note.. Bridgestone has announced that this will be their last year in F-1 as well. So what are they going to run on next year? I don't see Michelin coming back. Goodyear can't afford it. Interesting.
From what I have learned its a bunch of Korean manufacturers "bidding" which includes Kumho and Hankook (there's one other but their name escapes me). Pirelli has bascially said no effing way, Michelin wants competition (another manufacturer participating) which I agree with, Goodyear as you indicated is sucking wind, so who else?