Autox July 30th @ Devil's Bowl

pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: Autox July 30th @ Devil's Bowl

Post by pdudley42 »

I'm excited too, I just found out the AC in the Miata still works. Once again should be a rain-free autocross with highs in the upper 80s. Nick Goldberg has just volunteered to co-chair. He will co-drive my supercharged Miata, and it sounds like he'll co-drive another car too. We will arrive around 7am to set up the course.
Seth, do you have room for a set of tires and a bike or two?
By the way, it seems we could still use a second worker coordinator. All it takes is a little Johnny-on-the-Spot...and it helps to get there early.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Well I'm sorry to say but I'm going to be "that guy" who registers at the event. My cars not done and I'm not certain I'll be ready for Saturday, hence why I didnt prereg. Is there anything I can do to help the process so I dont slow things much Saturday am? I hope to see you guys on Saturday!
-Peter

96 Impreza, caged and swapped.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

pdudley42 wrote: Seth, do you have room for a set of tires and a bike or two?
By the way, it seems we could still use a second worker coordinator. All it takes is a little Johnny-on-the-Spot...and it helps to get there early.
Of course, just leave the stuff on the trailer, if you leave for work before I get there.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

Seth, my Blue Tub is currently riding shotgun in your race car. Let me know if you need help loading stuff this afternoon.
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Erik, I should be fine, unless you are looking for an excuse to come have a beer. If that is the case, I need your help desperately. Be home at 5 ish, then grabbing Paul's trailer immediately after.
Sachilles
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

Meh, I have to show a house @ 5:30. I'll take a rain check on the beer . . .
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Huge thanks to everybody for helping to make another excellent and successful Devil's Bowl autocross. Tons of grip out there today and a lot of new faces to enjoy it. Me thinks this was the slowest course we've had there so far, but that just meant the grin lasted a little longer.
I'd like particularly to hear feedback from the corner workers on course. Was it too long in the sun today during each run group (vs how sweet was it to get 4 runs in a row)? I spent a lot of time under the timing tent which was great for all kinds of reasons, but I didn't get the worst of the sun like a you guys. Thanks for that. Now to the bad. There were a lot of "close calls" with workers not recognizing/getting to fallen cones/getting out of the way fast enough today. I think for some reason today's course lent itself to this but nonetheless, it should not happen. Ideally the driver will not have to see a person running in their field of vision while on course. Them's the brakes.
Hope to see you all next time.
Maybe try a one-lapper again???
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
VTSilver225

Post by VTSilver225 »

Hey Paul, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents in. O yea this is Jamie with the Silver TT. Ellen had a wonderful time for her first auto-x, she is hooked, ready for the next Devils bowl and cant wait for SLMP, she is making me go...which is great, some more motivation.
What I saw out there his past saturday, was a lot of course workers, which there is nothing wrong with, as long as they are spread out. Check 4 had a lot but they were all together. If people spread out, the run to the cone would be a lot shorter. Not picking on check 4 but they were all together, behind the guard rail and that seemed to be the problem area when I was working. My other observation, was flip flops again not trying to pick on check 4 but they were shagging cones in bare feet. The infield has a lot of metal and the pavement is hot. Im not against sandals that are strapped to your feet, but flip flops, not easy to run in. Also people who are not working like at check one should probably not be on the track (infield). Don't know about insurance, but they are also distractions for workers. Im not trying to pick on anyone or make a fuss, but I perfer the two laps, it makes it more interesting, better driving, faster speeds and we probably see more seat time, because there is less transfers from run group to run group.
These are just my 2 cents and hopefully other people chime in to help the club, the racing, and keep everyone safe.
Thanks Jamie and Ellen in the silver TT
8valvegrowl

Post by 8valvegrowl »

Great job on course design Paul and Nick! Very challenging, but still a lot of fun.

Big thanks to Joey, Mark, and Alex for sticking around to help pick up cones and get things packed up!

I agree that there were some serious worker errors in this event, and I think Jamie is right about getting people to spread out.

Flip-flops are definitely a no-no, I know it's hot out, but come-on.

Here are a few things I could think of that we need to address with workers.

1) Spread out.
2) Don't hang out right by the track, be safe.
3) Pay attention, both to the cones and to where cars are on the track. Too often workers (especially Check 4) would be late going out to get the cone, and a car would be entering turn 3/4 and entering the slalom on the front straight.

Perhaps we could get a few people to volunteer to bring EZ-Ups to place out on the infield and at start for the next event. That sun was brutal for people. I know we have one that could be used.
'99 9.3 - Torquey noodle-mobile.
'08 9.3 SportCombi - Family Wagon.
'87 900 - 8 valves of pure fury.
'91 Legacy AWD - Sold :(
'74 MGBGT - Stage: Welding project.
'87 4Kquattro - Gone, but not forgotten
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I'm thinking it might be wise to discuss the purchase of a half dozen of them(canopies) at the next meeting. We always have a need for them at any event. The big issue would be if we have enough room in the trailer for them.
Sachilles