the brown MINI

Discussion about automotive projects
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

I'm a towing newbie... Is Seth's truck compatible with the trailer? It's Steve's trailer, right? The little one...

With thw BMW club event at Sugarbush next weekend, and Philo the 20-21, that leaves this weekend and the 13-14 as "free" weekends.
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

I am sure Seth's truck is able to tow. All he needs is a 2 inch ball for the receiver if you use Steve's trailer.

I wont be able to bring it down this weekend, and like you said with the next few weekends things are pretty busy.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

Is the brake controller issue something to worry about?
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

brownMINI wrote:Is the brake controller issue something to worry about?
If I were towing, I would definitely prefer to have one. Especially if I was only towing with a half-ton truck.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Jason,
When are you planning to do this? I'm bidding on a few brake controllers on ebay....so the brake controller could be a non issue. So I need to win the auction and then install(easy).

As it sits now, you would need a trailer with hydraulic brakes like a uhaul to use my truck(a trailer that doesn't need a brake controller).

I do not suggest towing a car trailer without trailer brakes...actually think it isn't legal in Vermont.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

I was hoping to move the car this weekend. But, it looks like that might not be happening.

How does "as soon as possible" sound? :D I think Thompson's wife would be happy to see the car gone from their front lawn. :wink:
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

yeah, I don't think I can win the auction, get it shipped, then install for this weekend....sorry.
Best case scenario is next week sometime(providing I win the damn auction :mad: )
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Not sure about the illeagal part of having trailer brakes to tow a car, but Steve's trailer doesnt have brakes that are controlled by a brake box. they are the emergency break away brakes only.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

I'm getting confused.
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

STI NICK wrote:Not sure about the illeagal part of having trailer brakes to tow a car, but Steve's trailer doesnt have brakes that are controlled by a brake box. they are the emergency break away brakes only.
Actually if we are talking about Mr. Steve Jones' trailer, it does have brakes that are controlled via an in cab control unit. It also has the emergency breakaway switch. You are able to control how much force the trailer brakes apply when you apply the truck breaks.
Tim W.
SCCV #72