the brown MINI

Discussion about automotive projects
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

brownMINI wrote:I'm getting confused.
Trailers 101.

There are two types of braking systems for trailers.
1-electric brakes on the axles(most popular). The tow vehicle has an aftermarket brake control in the car. When it determines the brakes of the vehicle are activated, it turns on the brakes in the trailer.

2-Hydraulic brakes-more popular with boat trailers, but uhaul car haulers use them too. There is a hydraulic cylinder integrated into the the tow hitch on the trailer when the tow vehicle slows it makes the the weight of the trailer push towards the tow vehicle compressing the brake master cylinder pushing fluid to the wheel's brakes(which function like regular car brakes).
Its favored with boats as you dunk your trailer in the water which isn't so good for electric brakes. Uhaul does it, as most people that rent a trailer don't have a brake controller in their tow vehicle.

If steves trailer has a break away unit installed, then he must have electric brakes....as that is how those work.

Make more sense?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
TSR53

Post by TSR53 »

brownMINI wrote:I think Thompson's wife would be happy to see the car gone from their front lawn. :wink:
No problem at all. Our new lawn gnome is perfectly happy right where he is. At the time of our "new MINI lawn gnome delivery", Donna thought that you guys were going to actually fix it right there over the mole holes! I assured her that the real purpose of why it was the there - to keep the cranky next door neighbor dog away. MINI bulldogs are better.

You're good to go, take as much time as you need.
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

What is the connector (electrical) on the trailer? I might have found a truck to use, but the owner asked what the connector was. 7-way? 6-way? Not that I really know what I'm talking about. :D
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

brownMINI wrote:What is the connector (electrical) on the trailer? I might have found a truck to use, but the owner asked what the connector was. 7-way? 6-way? Not that I really know what I'm talking about. :D
Umm.. It's round.. :? I don't remember. Hopefully Steve or Nick know.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

STI NICK wrote:Not sure about the illeagal part of having trailer brakes to tow a car, but Steve's trailer doesnt have brakes that are controlled by a brake box. they are the emergency break away brakes only.
My trailer has electric brakes powered by the box inside the tow vehicle.
Steve #702
My project post on VWvortex Rabbit Farmer projects
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The big round plug for my trailer all most modern hitches is 7. The 7th pin controls the reverse lights (IIRC). I can look when I get home if you would like.
Steve #702
My project post on VWvortex Rabbit Farmer projects
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

So... ummm... can I use the trailer tomorrow? :D

I've got a truck set up, Greg in CT is going to be around to take the car from me. Just need the trailer, and maybe a few hands to help get the car back onto the trailer in the morning.

And are there still straps to secure the car nearby?
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

More huge thanks in order...

Tim, Eric, Thompson, and Lee (an ex-SCCV-er) put up with an uncooperative car and an unpleasant schedule to get the brown MINI loaded up on the trailer Friday night. The right front wheel didn't want to stay in place while we tried to push the car from Thompson's lawn onto the trailer. A few ratchet straps did manage to hold things in place enough to get it on the trailer.

And, for a while, I thought I was going to be "that guy". I forgot the keys to the MINI when I went to Thompson's. The car was unlocked, but the steering wheel was locked. It took a few minutes for Thompson, a fellow MINI owner, to think to ask me if I had the little plastic wallet key for the MINI in my wallet. I did, and that did the trick. Too bad the new car doesn't have a little wallet key... or a place to put a key in to start the car. :D

The brown MINI is now in CT where another fellow MINI owner has taken his Cooper S and made it into an insane track car. There is not a single piece of the original interior left. It's beyond "gutted". Everything is gone. It's incredible.

It also has custom fabricated wide fenders on all corners, a new custom front bumper, hand made fiberglass doors, etc, etc.

Also, it has custom fabricated suspension components. So, the original suspension components are just sitting there taking up space... until they go on my car. And airbags, etc, etc.

Hopefully, it will be mobile again soon. :)

And none of this would have been possible with help from many, many people from the club. So, thanks again!
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

glad to hear it got down there without to big of a problem. Looking forward to seeing it next year. I am sure it will take a while to get everything in order.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

I told you the car was going to get on the trailer... :D Hopefully it came off easier than it went on... :D Glad to hear it made it down there o.k. 8)
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD