the brown MINI

Discussion about automotive projects
TSR53

Post by TSR53 »

I need to put my plastic BMW MINI key in my wallet...
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

You can see a bent front swaybar endlink (sliver hting hanging down near the brake caliper). And I think the tie rod is supposed to be straight, not bent.

Behind the swaybar is a black, square tubing crash structure that used to be much more "normal" looking.

And front lower control arms are not supposed to look like this:
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

Looks like they are making good progress though. :D Brown Mini will be back on the track before long. :dragrace:
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

I went down to Greg's today to "help" work on the car. We were hoping to make it roll-able today, but that didn't happen. We thought the CV boot needed to be rebuilt, but once the boot was off it looked like the axle / CV joint might be damaged. Rather than rebuild a suspect CV joint, we spent most of the rest of the day taking the wheel bearing / axle / etc apart so that it could be sent back as a core and a new axle and wheel bearing were ordered.

But, a new control arm is in place and new ball joints are in too. We also removed the battery box (moving it to the back of the car) and the airbox (going with the hot air intake - a filter right off the throttle body). The A/C was also removed. A new water pump was installed, as was a new belt tensioner. I had a new belt, too... but with no A/C, we need a shorter belt.

There's also a new bumper cover sitting in the garage. But, it might be going back... it's a stock Cooper bumper, and if an aero-kit bumper is close in price to the standard bumper, might as well go with the aero kit bumper.

And there's a new big plastic shroud that goes around the radiator waiting to be installed. The bumper support has been replaced. The metal bumper structure has been "massaged" to be close to straight again.

A few more weeks of work, and it might be ready to be driven back home. :thumbsup:
TSR53

Post by TSR53 »

Great! Looks like the light at the end of the dark fuzzy tunnel isn't that far off. Keep posting photos.
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

Some of you may have heard me talk about Greg's MINI project. He took it out for its first powered test run this morning:

http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/first_ran.wmv

He has fiberglass door skins and a carbon fiber hood, but they're not mounted for this test.
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Great progress, Jason!

I'm telling you, wheel-to-wheel racing may be in the Brown Mini's future! :wink:

Of course, some HDPE days' Instructor sessions are a bit like wheel-to-wheel...

So you'll be taking this car to hill climbs next year, I hope? I highly recommend them, well, Philo, at least. :D

-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Sounds like good progress.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

The title for the brown MINI was waiting in my mailbox on Saturday. So, it's officially "mine". Now it just needs to move again.
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

It's alive!

There's still a lot of work left to be done, but I was able to drive the brown MINI a few miles today. :nana:

I'm pretty tired, so a more informative post will have to wait until tomorrow.